Indulge in summer’s sweetness
Indulge in summer’s sweetness
By: Leanne Ely
Everything is just coming into season—luscious peaches, plums, berries and melons. Not only are they in season, but they’re also the least expensive right now—especially if you’re lucky enough to happen upon a little produce stand or someone selling melons in the back of a truck. In the more rural South, it’s not unusual to find little produce stands set up in people’s front yards, selling the bounty from their gardens and fruit trees.
And while I hate to turn on the oven this time of year, I’ll make an exception for making a cobbler or a crisp. Peach or berry cobbler is one of those things that everyone should experience in the middle of a hot summer. Preferably with a big scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream…does it get any better than that? Yeah it does, my recipe is with both peaches and berries and is a combo cobbler/crisp!
I know what you’re thinking…that’s not exactly healthy fare! Agreed. Cobbler is not going to be on any of my top ten healthy foods lists anytime soon and no, I won’t be giving you a recipe for a healthy version because it’s not ever going to be THAT healthy and why mess with a good thing?
We can however, enjoy a treat every once in awhile. It goes back to the rule of eating really healthy 90% of the time and the other 10%, enjoying a splurge such as delicious homemade cobbler with seasonally ripe fruits in the middle of summer. Ah, life is good! Enjoy this cobbler recipe that’s been a favorite of my family for years–
Leanne’s Peach Berry Cobbler/Crisp
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup uncooked old fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
3 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh blueberries or other berries (blueberries hold up best)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, mix together the first four ingredients. Add the milk and the 1/4 cup of butter, cutting it in and mixing till smooth (although it will be lumpy with the oatmeal).
In a large saucepan over a medium high heat, mix together the white sugar, cornstarch and water. Add the peaches first and cook till bubbly, about 5 minutes. Add the blueberries and cook another 5 minutes. Add the 1 tablespoon of butter and the lemon juice. Now add the nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix well until butter is melted. Remove from heat.
Pour fruit mixture into an ungreased 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Spoon the batter over the top of the fruit and place in the middle of the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is brown and cooked all the way through. Once cooked, allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving—enjoy!
Want summer recipes that are healthy? Try our Summer Smoothie E book!
Saving Dinner Fundraising Introduces New Webinar Feature
By: Daniel Munns
I am excited to announce that Saving Dinner Fundraising is rolling out a brand new webinar feature, and you all are the first to know! This feature gives groups that use our program a new, fast and easy way to fundraise.
In the past, organizations that sign up for the program would create their Saving Dinner Fundraising page and then promote their page through an email campaign, social media sites, their website, or printable flyers. All of these great features of the program remain, however organizations now have the option to register for a webinar presented by Leanne Ely. During this webinar, Leanne will help groups promote their fundraising page!
Here’s how it works:
• Sign up for Saving Dinner Fundraising
• Create your fundraising page with assistance from your Saving Dinner Fundraising Account Manager
• Schedule your webinar
• Have your supporters register for the fundraising webinar (with our help)
• Attend the webinar and watch the commissions roll in!
That’s all there is to it! We take care of all the behind the scenes work, including email reminders and instructions to webinar attendees. As usual, we also handle all of the payment collections, product delivery, and commission tracking. The bulk, or all, of your fundraising can be done in an hour with this new feature!
I wanted to let Saving Dinner’s loyal readers know about this feature first, as there are limited webinar spots available right now. So if you are someone that is looking to raise funds, or you know a group that is, make sure to sign up now and book your webinar slot. If you have any further questions about this new feature, or the program in general, send us an email at email@example.com.